Thursday, February 28, 2008

Bud #15: Library Games

I registered for the Pirate Game while at work, felt
guilty with the gaming and got off quickly. I was looking
for applications for work and a scantily dressed pirate
didn't seem to apply, sooooo I decided to take the games home
where I registered for Second Life.

Here's my Second Life story:

10:00 pm. Hope to hop on Second Life, take a look around,
check out the library and leave.

10:15 pm. Finished a few introductory items in Second Life.
Bumped into a few people. Sorry. Picked up torch. Decided
to try to change my looks from the hip-hop rock star to something closer to my own more conservative look before I venture further.

11:00 pm. Standing naked and bald at the entryway to Second Life
am mortified to ask cyber mentor, one hulky muscular
thighed male to help me put my clothes on. Wow. Discover
my Second Life is as much of a challenge as my First Life.
How do I get myself in these situations?

11:30 pm. Even Cyber mentor is avoiding me; talking with everyone
else around me as I continue to twirl naked and bald. What's with
the selection of clothes, hair, etc. Cyber mentor placed an auburn
wig in my folder, but I could not get it on. Tired and too humilated
to continue, I call it a night.

The next evening, after worrying all day about greeting new Second Lifers in my exposed condition, I resume my mission to dress myself. This night I have more luck and select a simple jeans and shirt ensemble. Feeling a little more at ease, I set out to explore more. I attempt to talk to people, but no one seems interested. Creeped out by a fox-like tailed creature that keeps following me, I notice the fly button. Flying was freaky, especially when I crash-land on a nuclear wasteland site with large mutant rats in a grey, scummy city. Flew out of there only to plunge into the water! I almost drowned! Wet, lonely, depressed, I decide to beam back to my real
life.

Applications for work....
We do have instructors who use Second Life in their courses. I do see the applications especially for sociology and psychology courses. The interactions alone
were thought provoking. I understand how people who might love gaming and cybersituations would get into Second Life. Personally, my First Life provides more than enough excitement for me these days. When I have more time, I will attempt to go back and seek out the library!

No comments: