Thursday, February 28, 2008

Bud #23: Evaluation

After major grad school burn out, I took a much needed break from researching and reading about technological advances. I'm thankful to the folks who put "23 things" together for bringing me back up to date. Now I'm no expert at any of the things, but I feel knowledgeable enough to carry on a conservation at a cocktail party about RSS feeds, Flickr, etc. Whether or not utilizing these things becomes part of my mainstream existence remains to be seen. I'm certainly more willing to explore the applications now that my feet are wet. I'd like to thank Katie for taking the 23 journey with me; it was great to have her emotional, spiritual and technological support through this whole process. Thanks also to the group who put this adventure together.

Please know that my more negative comments to a few of the "things" were not meant to offend. It's just that I tend to critically anaylze the information put before me and keep looking for the application over the "oh, cool!" element.

I am sincerely concerned about the future of a generation that can only communicate through some sort of plastic, technological device. Recently, a friend's cousin committed suicide over a vicious blog post -(Medical Examiner Rules Ad Exec Paul Tilley's Death a Suicide)..Now, perhaps more than ever, our role is to teach the critical analysis of these sorted technologies. Best of luck to us all!

No comments: